The SR-22 must be submitted from an insurance company licensed in the state for which the SR-22 is required. The insurance company must also has the authority or “power of attorney” to issue an SR-22. Our office maintains a listing of authorized companies.
An SR-22 requirement can be issued by the Secretary of State based on a judgement in a county court. Depending on the state you live in SR-22’s are usually required for 12-36 months. Some states require these to be consecutive months. In other words, if you are late on a payment you have to start the SR-22 all over. Some people view SR-22 insurance as high risk insurance. This is mostly because most insurance agents do not offer them. Drivers may need one for several different reasons. For instance:
1. Driving an uninsured vehicle.
2. Unsatisfied judgement suspensions.
3. Driving with a suspended or revoked license.
4. Having an at-fault accident while driving uninsured.
5. Multiple moving violations or tickets within 12 months.
6. Being behind on traffic citation payments.
7. Being behind on child support payments.
8. Other major moving violations, such as reckless driving.
9. Driving under the influence. (DUI)
We have been helping drivers find cheap car insurance, SR-22, andmotorcycle insurance since 2001.