State of Mississippi Insurance Requirements
Insurance King wants to help you get the lowest possible auto insurance rates. Being familiar with your state’s financial responsibility requirements is an easy way to start. Here is the most recent information for Mississippi:
The minimum amount of liability insurance coverage required to satisfy Mississippi’s Financial Responsibility law is 25,000/50,000/25,000. This means that your insurance policy must insure you against loss in an accident where you have been determined to be at-fault for a minimum of:
- Twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) because of bodily injury to or death of one (1) person in any one (1) accident
- Fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) because of bodily injury to or death of two (2) or more persons in any one (1) accident, subject to the twenty-five thousand dollar ($25,000) per person limit
- Twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) because of injury to or destruction of property of others in an accident
Under Mississippi law, you must be able to produce documentary proof of Financial Responsibility at the request of a law enforcement officer.
Penalty for failure to comply with Mississippi’s Financial Responsibility requirements:
The initial penalty for failing to maintain proof of Financial Responsibility may be up to $500 and include suspension of driving privileges (license and registration) for one (1) year or until the motor vehicle owner shows proof of insurance. If the driver produces proof of Financial Responsibility at the time of the court hearing, the fine may be reduced to $100. To reinstate your license you may be required to file proof of Financial Responsibility with the Department of Public Safety of the State of Mississippi (DPS).
Certificate of Financial Responsibility (SR-22):
An SR-22 is a certification of future proof of Financial Responsibility issued by your insurance company to the state providing proof that you purchased liability insurance. The following circumstances may require a person to file an SR-22:
- To reinstate a suspended license after the person fails to pay an accident judgment
- To reinstate a suspended license after the person fails to maintain proof of Financial Responsibility
- To reinstate a license after a Driving Under the Influence (DUI) conviction
If you are required to maintain a certificate of Financial Responsibility, your insurance company must provide the state with at least five (5) days advance notice before termination. Insurance King will only issue a Mississippi SR-22 to Mississippi residents.
Link to Mississippi Driver Services Bureau
Get a Free Auto Insurance Quote
View our Spanish Site.